Wall Art Sizes – A Complete Guide
Transforming the look and feel of a room doesn’t require a complete overhaul. Sometimes, all you need is a well-placed piece of art on your wall, and that’s easy when you know the perfect wall art sizes for your home.
Since it’s so essential to pick the right size when it comes to your artworks, we’ve made this complete guide to help you along the way.
Whether you’re a first-time buyer or a seasoned art collector, this comprehensive guide will walk you through everything you need to know about selecting the perfect size for your wall art.
How Wall Art Sizes Impact Your Space
There’s so much more to artwork sizes than what meets the eye. It can pretty much make or break a space and its overall vibe.
Think about a living room with a large sofa against a wall – now imagine a small, single, lonesome artwork hung above that sofa. Why does it feel so out-of-place? Because there’s no balance! A large sofa most definitely needs a big artwork to fill the space above the wall and balance its large features.
Here are some other ways that artwork sizes impact your space.
Creating a Focal Point
- Large pieces serve as a room's focal point and help to anchor the entire design.
- In contrast, smaller pieces can be used to fill gaps or add nuance to existing decor.
Affecting Room Proportions
- Vertical art makes rooms appear taller.
- Horizontal art can make a room seem more spacious.
Enhancing the Mood
- Small, intricate pieces invite viewers for a closer look, creating an intimate feel.
- Large, bold pieces can evoke strong emotions and make a powerful statement.
The Basic Rules – How to Make Wall Art Fit In With Your Home
- Measure Your Wall Space – Use a tape measure to determine how much space you have. This will give you a range of suitable sizes.
- Observe the ⅔ Rule – The art piece should occupy approximately two-thirds of the available wall space for optimal aesthetics.
- Consider Frame Size – Don't forget to account for the frame when calculating wall art sizes.
- Hanging Makes a Difference – No matter the size of your artwork, it needs to be hung properly! With a few key tips on how to hang wall art like a pro, you’ll be able to hang your pieces perfectly, every time.
Wallpaper – Your Secret Weapon
When considering artwork sizes, don’t overlook the impact of beautiful wallpaper. It’s like your secret weapon to mastering the art of sizing, as it acts as your full-wall canvas that can dramatically change a room. Here are some quick tips you should know:
- Large prints can overwhelm small rooms, so opt for smaller, subtler prints if your space is a little confined.
- When mixing wallpaper and traditional wall art, keep scale and colour in mind. You can mix and match colours and shapes for contrast, but don’t go too overboard if you want to keep the look clean and sophisticated.
What Size Art for My Wall? Some Quick Tips
Consider the following when you’re making your decision about the size of the artwork for your space:
- Grouping several small pieces? Treat them as one large piece when you’re calculating measurements and deciding where to put them.
- Hallways and staircases are ideal for smaller pieces or a series of small artworks.
- Large rooms can handle large art pieces, but a series of smaller pieces can also create a compelling visual story.
- When choosing your perfect artwork, consider whether it will look better in your space in a small or large size. Some pieces look better on a larger scale like big prints, while intricate details can make a big impact on a smaller scale.