The Dos and Don’ts of Hanging Wall Art
You’ve finally found the perfect piece of art – now what? The task of hanging wall art might seem simple enough, but small mistakes can lead to big design mistakes that can completely change the energy in your home
In this all-in-one guide, you’ll discover the classic dos and don’ts of hanging artwork to make sure you get it right, every time.
With these extensive tips and tricks, your wall art will not only look gorgeous, but will also complement your space flawlessly.
The Dos: Best Practices for Hanging Wall Art
Before you put any holes in your walls, plan the layout. Use painter's tape or stencils to visualize how the piece will fit within your space. Check out these quick and easy tips:
- Measure the wall and the art piece carefully.
- Consider the ⅔ rule as a general guideline: the artwork should take up approximately two-thirds of the wall space over your furniture.
- If you’re going to hang different sizes near each other, make sure you know the best ways to determine wall art sizes.
Consider the Height
- The center of your artwork should be at eye level, which is generally 144cm from the floor.
- For a gallery wall or multiple pieces, this rule applies to the central point of the entire arrangement. Plan the layout, find the centre point, and measure 144cm from that centre point to the ground
Know How to Hang Wall Art
- Use the appropriate hardware for your wall type (drywall, brick, etc.).
- When hanging heavy pieces, always use wall anchors or find a stud to ensure the artwork is secure.
How to Arrange Wall Art
The arrangement of multiple pieces of art is just as important as when you’re hanging individual, lone pieces. Gallery walls are hugely popular among art-lovers everywhere, and it’s a trend that’s here to stay. When hanging your gallery wall, consider these tips:
- Keep a gap of at least 7cm and 15cm between smaller pieces.
- Balance heavier artworks with lighter, smaller artworks for the perfectly balanced look.
- Maintain a consistent theme or colour scheme if you want the most cohesive look, but you can mix and match styles for a dynamic appearance.
- Know how to hang wall art like a pro, so you’ll never have wonky or falling artworks again.
The Don’ts: What to Avoid
Patience is key! Rushing through the process can lead to artworks that aren’t aligned properly, or insecurely hung. This can result in pieces that look unsightly, or worse, pieces that fall and become damaged.
Don’t Neglect Scale and Proportion
Knowing how to arrange wall art becomes crucial when dealing with multiple pieces at a time. An oversized painting can overshadow smaller pieces, throwing off balance and focus.
Don’t Hang Too High or Too Low
Too high, and your art becomes disconnected from your furniture. Too low, and it may interfere with the function of your space.
Mastering the art of hanging wall art isn’t merely about putting nails in a wall – it’s about creating harmony and visual interest in your home.
Understanding the dos and don’ts not only elevates your interior design game, but also maximises the impact of your art pieces. After all, even the most beautiful artwork can lose its charm if not displayed correctly.
Know someone who struggles hanging their wall art? Give them a hand by sharing this blog – they’ll love you for it.
Your walls are the mirror to your soul – let your art speak for you.
Shop art prints, fine art, and premium home accessories today.